1. What is my hair like now?
- Is it dark or light? This starting point is going to allow you to get the best results. If your hair is light brown you will want to stick with deeply pigmented shades like Wrath, Purple Rain, etc and avoid pastel colors and or the lighter blues and greens in general.
- Does your hair already have color in it? So with semi-permanent color like Arctic Fox Hair Color, if your hair is blue and you’d like to go red without bleaching - you can transition to a purple before you go red to make sure you don’t get any unwanted pigment interactions.
- Are you wanting to lighten it? If so you’ll need to do that prior to applying color! If you have a specific color in mind, you can look at the hair level charts on the product pages for a guide to how light you’d need to be to get your desired shade!
2. What is the current health of your hair?
- The more your hair has been processed the more likely it is to be damaged, however, that’s not always the case. Everyone’s hair is different! This means that for some people - certain colors will last a lot longer. Since an open cuticle can hold color better, pre-lightened hair will absorb color the best. But if your hair is too damaged it can be a challenge holding the color and it may not last as long. So even if your hair is very light blonde you may want to choose a color a few shades darker than your desired tone to get more out of the process! For example, a color like Girls Night can be punched up with a few drops of Purple Rain giving it a little extra pigment and longevity. Alternatively, pre-lightened hair does hold on to the color longer when it comes to getting back to blonde so if you do want to go back to blonde after your color you will want to stick to lighter, warmer tones in general or use our Arctic Mist Diluter to soften up shades to ensure they don’t stay too long!
3. What color do I want to achieve? What color will it fade to?
- If you’re wanting a gorgeous deep teal but you’re unsure about the fade, you’ll want to think about your hair color now and the base color of the dye. Most AF shades dilute to the color they fade to but if they fade to an ice blue and your hair is yellow-toned blonde, you’ll end up with a green tinge which most people don’t want. However, there is a way to cover that up! So have a plan; if you know it will fade green then you can go purple afterward to help color correct any unwanted tones!
4. How do I care for my hair before and after I color it?
- Before you apply Arctic Fox you’ll need clean and dry hair so make sure you rinse with shampoo only (no conditioner) and fully dry the hair before application. Afterward, you’ll want to make sure you know how to care for your color! Rinse with cold water, use sulfate-free and silicon-free products and more. Find out more in our Color Care Tips HERE.
- If you are going to bleach your hair make sure you are caring for your hair beforehand! You’ll want the hair to be conditioned with some natural oils (so not freshly washed) and you don’t want to brush hair just before bleaching or you can create tiny microscopic cuts that can cause irritation. Do your research on how to care for your hair before, during and after! If you do apply Arctic Fox Hair Color just after you bleach your hair it will help to condition the hair which is key!
5. How worth it is a strand test?
- Okay, you probably won’t ask yourself this but strand testing is SO crucial. Most of us are happy to slap on our color and settle for however it turns out but if you’re cocktailing colors it is especially helpful. Choose a tiny piece of hair close to the nape of your neck and test your shade! Then, you can see if you need to add a darker color for more pigmentation, lighten it for a softer tone or choose a different one if you don’t love it! This is the best way to get the color you want and get great results every time!
Always feel free to reach out to us for help at Arctic Fox Hair Color. You can email us at email@example.com!