One of my favorite things to bring to a holiday dinner to share is a festive amuse-bouche! Fragrant in spices, which are carefully curated to aid in digestion, and rich in savory umami flavor. This decadent mushroom pate is the perfect teaser to any main course.
Serves 4-6 people
Prep time: 20-30 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
- 1 french baguette
- 4-6 peeled garlic cloves (adjust according to your love of garlic)
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the baguette into ½ inch diagonal slices. Put on a lined sheet pan. Brush slices of bread with oil. With a microplane, grate the desired amount of peeled garlic onto slices of bread. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the oven for 5-10 mins or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- 1 pound of assorted mushrooms - chopped
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 shallot - chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped (sub for dried if fresh is not available)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped (sub for dried if fresh is not available)
- 1 tablespoon mushroom powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of red table wine
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
GARNISH FOR BOARD:
- 2- 4-5 inch sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of rough chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon of truffle salt or you favorite gourmet salt.
- 2 tablespoons of well chopped walnuts
- Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of coarse ground black pepper
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
In a medium sauce pan, heat up oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and garlic. Sautee until onions and garlic are slightly translucent. Add chopped mushrooms, butter, thyme rosemary, mushroom powder, salt & pepper. Sautee until mushrooms are slightly tender. Add red wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer and reduce for 15-20mins. Remove from heat and allow to cool to the touch. Once mushrooms are cooled, add to a food processor along with chopped walnuts. Blend in processor until creamy. Add additional walnuts until desired creaminess is achieved. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Remove after 2 hours. Serve by spreading a thick layer of pate onto a wooden or marble board. Top pate board with garnish ingredients above and serve with garlic toast for a perfect holiday treat!
Follow Thuy on Instagram!